Today is a beautiful day...

xXx

Monday, January 20, 2014

Tutorial: Taking Up A Hem

Hi.
 
xXx
 
 
My Mum got this dress for me, a while ago from a thrift event. While I loved it, the length wasn't really me, plus it had slits at the back and front which I didn't like, and so I took it up :) Here's how:
 
xXx
 
Firstly cut the bottom of the garment off, until it is the length you want. BE SURE to cut leaving a little extra for hem allowance (about a couple of centimeters with cotton or linen like this). Be careful to follow the cut of the garment too, if the original hem curved a little, you'll probably want to keep that curve, depending on how much you're taking it up, as the garment will have been made in such a way that a curved hem will have helped it fall nicely.
 
 
Lay the dress out and turn over about a centimeter of the hem (on the inside) and press.
 

 Looking good :)


Now turn the hem up again, by another centimeter, enclosing the raw edge, and press again.
 



 
Time to sew! Using a straight stitch, (back stitch if you're sewing by hand) hem all the way around, being sure to catch both layers of the folded hem.

 
Et voila! The finished dress, much more my style. Can't wait for summer now, but I might try styling this with a shirt underneath and tights and boots whilst it's still cold.
 
xXx
 
What sewing projects do you have on the go at the moment?
 


1 comments:

Corinne said...

I'm rubbish at stuff like this, I really need to fix my work skirt though so I better learn!

Corinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com

Post a Comment

Hey ho folkies, nice to hear from ya ;) If you'd like a reply don't forget the check the 'notify me' box :)
x